Friday, June 12, 2009

New York Living: Day 8

After wasting time experimenting with video recording on the laptop and testing out a video upload on blogger, I have learned that uploading a video here takes a rather long time, and at the moment I don't feel like sitting around waiting for that to happen, so I'll tell you what's been going down the old fashioned way.

I've been living here in the Upper West Side for a whole week now, but I've hardly gotten to explore the neighborhood because most of my time has been spent unpacking and organizing our stuff. Mom stayed back in Utah for an extra week, and Dad works during the day of course, so I've been stuck here doing most of the work myself. I'm pretty sick of unpacking and putting crap on shelves, not gonna lie. Luckily, that part is all done now. However, the apartment is still cluttered because the decorations and some of the furniture have yet to be put in there proper places. The chi is not yet flowing properly.

I've been working hard on getting my bedroom organized and decorated, which seems a simple enough task, but you wouldn't believe the stress I've been through during the process. First of all, I didn't realize my room was going to be so... well... huge! There are a bunch of decor things I left behind in Tucson that I wish I would have brought, because I've seriously been going crazy trying to figure out how to place things. It's like I'm having OCD episodes or something. I rearranged my DragonBall figures like five times. And now I'm not sure I want to have all them out on display. The cartoony colors are interrupting my feng shui. I want my old feng shuiy room back!

Ah, well, I will get over this grief soon enough. Moving is always stressful. But I must say, I'm impressed with how not stressed I've been throughout this move. I'm not very emotionally disrupted to be honest, except that I miss my Tucson besties. I was just ready for this, you know? It feels normal being here.

The weather has been cloudy and wet most of the time here, with the cityscape covered in a blanket of mist, but I'm enjoying the change of scenery. My first night here, Dad and I went by our local EuroPan Cafe and got some pizza. The next night, he took me out to a fantastic Indian restaurant called Indus Valley. Yum, yum-o.

Yesterday, Mom flew into town, but Dad took her on a romantic getaway at a B & B in Brooklyn, so I spent yesterday and last night all by my lonesome! I decided to go out on the town in the evening and look for something to eat in spite of the wet weather. I walked for a while down Broadway but couldn't decide what I wanted, and eventually came upon a little bakery restaurant (called Broadway Bagel, I think) where I ordered the Lumberjack breakfast! I couldn't resist having pancakes for dinner. As I was enjoying my hearty meal all alone in that cozy cafe, a couple of guys walked in and proceeded to snort coke at the back of the restaurant. Hm. Not so inconspicuous.

Anyways, I didn't stay out for much longer, because I was actually getting kind of cold and wet. I came home and watched anime in my room all night (I have my own 32-inch widescreen TV!). I've been watching a new series I bought a while back called "Kino's Journey." It's really fascinating and full of philosophical fables and thought-provoking stories. Good stuff.

Mom and Dad just got back a little while ago, so I'm hoping we can get down to business this weekend and get the decorating done. Then this house will really feel like a home. Pretty soon I'll have some photos for you, and I'll give you the grand tour of our apartment. Stay tuned.

Peace and Love,
Sean

1 comment:

  1. You did great on your own for one night in a new apartment and a big city. Good job!!!! The guys in the back of the restaurant sound a little crazy!

    I'm glad you feel comfortable there. You're amazing.

    ReplyDelete