Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Harry Potter Night with Marlena

A week ago, I finally got to hang out with my friend Marlena, who I know from middle/high school back in Tucson. She's been living here and studying acting at NYU for a couple years now--and lovin' it. It was so much fun to socialize with someone my own age, haha! I adore Marlena, with her funny stories, her uncensored personality, and her emotional understanding (as she listened to some of my kind of lame stories). As a warm welcome to New York City, she was generous enough to treat me to a lovely dinner and dessert at the charming, popular little restaurant called Serendipity. Their famous frozen hot chocolate is to die for. After that, we checked out a nearby candy shop called Dylan's Candy Bar. It's a huge and colorful temple dedicated to all things sweet, with pricetags that will empty your wallet. It was fun just to look.

Next, Marlena and I walked to Times Square for the main feature: Harry Potter and the Half-blood Prince! She got our tickets for the midnight showing ahead of time, so it was just a matter of working our way through the mob outside of the movie theater. Marlena is no push-over, so she grabbed onto my arm and pushed her way to the front doors. We got perfect seats ahead of the crowds. As for the movie itself, we both enjoyed it. In my opinion, it's at least better than Order of the Phoenix--a particularly dissappointing HP movie for me--but doesn't come close to the glory of the climactic and compelling Goblet of Fire. Anyhow, Marlena was sweet enough to escort me home after the movie so I wouldn't be scared taking the subway so late at night. That evening was probably the best time I've had in the city so far, since I got to spend it with a good friend. Thanks, Lena!

1 comment:

  1. What a nice friend. Your turn to treat her next time. Do you cook? Maybe you could make her dinner? What do you think??? It would be worth a try. It's fun. It's pretty easy to make chicken, veggies, and rice. All you need is an inexpensive seasoning packet. Maybe a Thai or Asian flavor? That would be a new adventure. (Just and idea.) She may be able to help you in the kitchen.

    ReplyDelete