August 1, 2009 has been a hell of a day. Those who have me on facebook may have already known this, but today was the day I finally got to see my favorite musical ever, Billy Elliot: The Musical. Earlier this week, my loving father bought me a ticket for today's 2:00 matinee. So this morning, I got up at a decent hour (being 10:30 am) to get ready for the big day. I headed down to Times Square and got to the Imperial Theatre way early ahead of the crowds.
Now, I had been crossing my fingers that it would be one of the original three Broadway Billy's (Kiril Kulish, Trent Kowalik, David Alvarez) performing in this showing (they rotate/take turns playing the title role), but I found out that the cast line up was Tommy Batchelor as Billy (he's a new fourth Billy, formerly an understudy, added to the rotation), and I admit I was upset that I wouldn't get to see one of the Tony Award-winning originals, but of course, as soon as the show began, I forgot all about that, because Tommy Batchelor was every bit as wonderful! Keean Johnson was also adorable as Michael.
But I'm getting ahead of myself now. As a mildly interesting subplot, just ten minutes before they opened the doors, I realized I forgot to bring a sharpie (for autographs after the show) so I had to make a mad dash to the Walgreens to waste my money and buy a pack. Ah well, I didn't want to miss the opportunity for autographs.
Anyways, I got back to the theater, but not ahead of the crowds this time. Still, it only took a few minutes to get in and find my seat on the front mezzanine row F (which wasn't a sucky seat, in case you're wondering, but it wasn't fantastic either). The lights dimmed, and over the speakers the voice of a boy with a Geordie accent prompted us to turn off our cell phones.
And so the dream began... and ended. Like a flash. I've been in a tired daze ever since.
That's the kind of effect an experience so moving has on me. Billy Elliot: The Musical was one of the single most joyous times I've ever had in my life--the fulfillment of a dream. So naturally, now that it's over, I am incredibly depressed. That's just how it goes with me.
Some photos to document the day... Disclaimer: Please ignore the fact that I look gross and my hair is a disaster.
The Imperial Theatre
Front:
Back:
Inside the Lobby:
After the performace, Keean Johnson (dark hair) and Tommy Batchelor (light hair) sign autographs:
Me with Tony Award-winner Trent Kowalik:
Me at home with my autographed souvenir program:
"Wow. Huh? Did that really just happen?" That kinda sums up how I feel right now. I've anticipated this day since I first saw the Billy Elliot movie and bought the Musical soundtrack two years ago, and now it's gone in a flash. It was such an emotional day. And I would give you more details now, but I'm pooped.
Latest update: Tonight at around 10:30, I went back to the theater and waited at the stage door to catch some more of the stars as they exited after their evening performance. I got a few more autographs. More details on the day and possibly more photos coming tomorrow!
This is so exciting I can't believe it! Your Aunt D. is missing from all of these pictures and video clips! Where is she? Is she hiding? Hmmm. Well, maybe next time.
ReplyDeleteYou look very handsome, by the way, and WOW, Tony-award winning actors everywhere!!!! How lucky are you????? You know you're really lucky, right?????