Sunday, June 27, 2010

GLBT Pride 2010

This entry actually written July 20, 2010

On July 19, I headed to the "Summer Stage" in Central Park to check out this year's Pride Rally. I watched the performances of a couple musicians and comedians, but then grew bored because I didn't have a friend with me. Overall though, the Rally looked to be a much bigger deal than it was last year. Except that this year they didn't have Dustin Lance Black as a speaker. So, you know.

June 27 was the day of the biggest Pride Week event: the Pride March! This year, I decided to actually march in the parade instead of watching it, joining some of my friends in the Hunter College Queer Student Union group. There were only seven of us, despite that there are many more people that frequent the QSU and should have been there! Oh well. Quality over quantity, right? We gathered at around 11:30 AM in our groups assigned area, and a little after noon, it was our turn to join the procession on Fifth Avenue. Our march stretched from 39th Street down to 9th Street, where we turned and walked another several blocks, passing Sheridan Square and ending around Greenwich Street. Phew! That was a long walk for me! It was fun looking out at the people lined up who were watching the parade, and checking out all the cute guys amongst them. Must have been about fifty boys I wanted. GAH.

Anyways, after our march was over, the parade actually continued for a few more hours--it's quite long. But when our march was up, our group of friends sort of walked around aimlessly, and we couldn't agree on where to go next to party or whatever. I had about enough walking, and I was freaking exhausted from the march (and from waking up early), so I gave up and headed home. Too bad it took me forever to get to the 1 Train subway station because I had to go up to the 14th Street Station after finding out the one at Christopher Street was closed! That meant even more walking. Lordy, I was tired. But all in all, marching in the parade was a fun experience, and something very important to me. It's important for the gay community to come together and show our pride in the face of the homophobic world we live in that treats us like lower lifeforms. And it's very important to me. I want dignity, I want respect for my true self, I want equality, and I want the right to marry someone I truly love. And I want these things for everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment