Wednesday, July 29, 2009

A Rainy Day in Chinatown

Mom and Dad left town yesterday for a romantic getaway in England! Lucky duckies. But hey, now it's just me and New York, keeping it real. Yesterday I went down to the Union Square area, where Forbidden Planet is. I just looked around the place to see if there were any interesting new manga or related merch to gawk at. I also went to a used books store called Strand: a literary emporium with an overwhelmingly extensive selection of books stacked on tall shelves. It seems like it would be incredibly difficult to find something specific in that place, but it's great for book collectors.

Last night, I watched Watchmen. Spectacular in many ways, the movie is both visually and thematically complex. But the gore was extreme and disturbing even for an R rating; it's a tad gratuitous, really. Has Zack Snyder ever heard the phrase "Less is more?" I think he needs to learn some artistic restraint. But all in all, the movie was smart, fascinating, and unforgettable. I'm still trying to figure out what it all means.

Rain, rain, go away! The rain keeps coming back to New York again and again. It's like we moved to Seattle or something. Today, I decided I felt like exploring Chinatown despite some light rain. But when I got out of the subway station at Canal Street, the rain was pouring so violently that an umbrella did almost no good. It was absolutely insane. So I just went back up to midtown. The rain had calmed a little bit so I stopped by Book-Off, and then looked around a nearby movie store. Not as fun as Chinatown. I'm tired of this rain ruining my plans!

1 comment:

  1. It sounds like you're having fun Sean! How exciting. As long as you're wet & not cold, you'll be okay, eh?


    I'm glad you're finding fun things to do. You're becoming more independent now. It's good you are able to stay there on your own for a week or so. You're so lucky to have so many opportunities there. Hang in there okay?

    ReplyDelete