Thursday, September 17, 2009

Broadway in Bryant Park (August 13)

I totally forgot to tell you about "Broadway in Bryant Park." It was a free concert series featuring snippets from Broadway shows performed by their actual casts at the outdoor theater space in Bryant Park. This is apparently an annual thing, and this year it went every Thursday from July 9 to August 13. On August 13, Mom and I headed to Bryant Park because I wanted to catch the cast of Billy Elliot! The rain clouds were looming that day, and I was nervous about the possibility of getting rained out. Well, we got there early enough to catch the Billy Elliot cast rehearsing for a little bit before the actual performance. This turned out to be a lucky thing, because toward the end of the concert, it began to rain for a little bit, but I'm getting ahead of myself. The other shows featured that day besides Billy Elliot were South Pacific, Mamma Mia, and Altar Boyz. But all I cared about was Billy of course. Anyways, like I said, it started to rain during the show--I think it was in the middle of the South Pacific song, and later the Billy cast ended up doing only one of their numbers--"Once We Were Kings" (click for video)--because the stage got wet and they couldn't dance. I know, right? Well, at least we got to see them rehearse their other song ("Shine") a little before the show. So it was a slightly dissappointing day, but I mean, I still got to see the cast perform that day for free! Here's a few photos:

"Shine" Rehearsal:


Performing "Once We Were Kings":


Tommy Batchelor and the understudy for Ms. Wilkinson (I can't find her name):


Cast photo time:


Interestingly enough, the ever-charming John Stamos made an appearance to publicize his involvement in an upcoming production of Bye Bye Birdie:


Matthew Morrison from the TV show "Glee" also showed up and performed the song "Leaving on a Jet Plane" (click for video). Cool huh? I didn't get any pictures though.

Okay, so maybe on my next post I'll finally talk about school and the Circle Line boat tour we went on a couple weeks ago.

1 comment:

  1. That's a good post. You are getting such a cultural education as well as a social one. How fortunate for you! I've been missing you all weekend. I wish we could hang out or go for a long drive again and SING to our hearts content.
    You are dear to me.
    Aunt D.

    ReplyDelete