Friday, October 23, 2009

Where the Wild Things Are

Tonight, I saw a most fascinating movie, Where the Wild Things Are. I was very excited to see this movie since the time I first saw the exceptionally crafted trailer. Turns out the film itself, directed by Spike Jonze, was even more of an exceptionally crafted work of art. It was a delightfully bizarre, unconventional, and at times unsettling experience. Max's trip into the world of the Wild Things was rich in psychological symbolism and emotional depth. It explored some very dark, troubling feelings and conflicts that everyone experiences, whether child or adult. It also strikes very personal chords within me, making me remember distinct frustrations and impulses I haven't recalled since I was a child. (Dirt clod fight, anyone? Heck yes, let's chuck dirt clods!)

I love how the story unfolded naturally and spontaneously, unlike most Hollywood films that stick to structure and plot points. I felt it was Miyazaki-esque in that way-- it allowed things to happen and characters to act in ways that are unexpected and unexplained but full of meaning, nuance, and expression. These days I kind of feel jaded by Hollywood movies, so Wild Things was a welcome departure from convention. Spike Jonze, co-writer Dave Eggars, and everyone involved took creative risks, allowing creativity to flow freely like artists before a canvas. For me, this is what filmmaking should be about: art, expression, meaning. It should also be entertaining, of course, and Wild Things is certainly that--but it's because of that artistry. We're not spoon-fed a sugary story here; we, children and adults alike, are moved to feel real things, see beauty in the rough, and think about our lives while simultaneously escaping them.

And how about that Max Records? What an incredible young actor. His natural, heart-warming performance as the wild yet endearing Max is the beating heart of the film. I vote Max Records for Best Actor in a Leading Role! The voice-actors for the Wild Things were also fantastic and charming. The music by "Karen O and the Kids" and Carter Burwell was beautiful. I bought the soundtrack album from iTunes after I got home from the movie, and I also hope to buy the score album sometime. But even more, I hope I can see Wild Things again soon, and revel in the wildness of childhood yearnings that tug at my own heart. I highly recommend Where the Wild Things Are, if you're ready for something unusual and deeply affecting.

No comments:

Post a Comment