Saturday, October 24, 2009

A Rainy Day in Tarrytown

The title sounds familiar, no? Damn, it rains a lot here. I'm not used to this.

Well, it was still a fine Saturday. Mom and Dad decided to rent a car and we drove north out of the city into a small, very quaint village called Tarrytown, which is adjacent to the legendary Sleepy Hollow! We visited a charming antique shop called Pretty Funny, which mom adores of course. It was actually a fun place though. I found a non-antique book about Wabi-sabi that I wanted, and Dad graciously got it for me. Mom was indecisive about whether to buy a gold vintage coat that she liked, and before we almost drove off and left, she decided to dash back in there and get it! That's my Mama for you. We proceeded to drove around town and looked at all the charming homes and fall leaves. We didn't really have a plan, and I admit I kind of got frustrated because Dad was just randomly driving around according to the direction of Mom. Of course, the ominous rain clouds weren't helping our options of stuff to do.

We stopped by Washington Irving's home among other places until we finally settled on checking out the Lyndhurst mansion. It's a spectacular gothic-revival style historic mansion on a huge lot. We made it to the last tour of the day. I took lots of photos outside, as you'll see below, but we were prohibited from taking photos inside the mansion. Too bad, because it was stunning! I love Gothic architecture. I felt like I was in one of those vampire mangas. Well, after the tour of Lyndhurst it really started raining harder. We drove off again and looked for a place to eat dinner. We settled on a bustling tavern type restaurant called Horsefeathers. Funny name, huh? We ordered off the burger and sandwich menu because everything else was uber expensive. The food turned out to be quite delicious! After dinner, we drove home, which took a while because Dad got us lost in the Bronx, although he probably won't admit it!

1 comment:

  1. Your pictures are really good. I like how you've labeled things. You're a pro blogger now! That mansion is really amazing. I forgot to comment on your picture above that you look great. I love your glasses. Driving around with Mom and Dad can be exciting since you are seeing so many new places. It's funny that you said your dad may have gotten lost on the way home. He'll get used to all of those roads someday!

    ReplyDelete